I have no info. This is the same combination of what they should do with what they will do. I read the same info everyone else does – and I am taking some liberties for people whom I don’t trust to act normally. And ESPN’s draft board is helpful. Mock draft seems preordinained – feels like everybody has to … so here we go:
1. Rams – Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma … a franchise QB. He is an obvious pick. Is he a risk? Of course. But he grades out – and he can be their face. One of the misnomers of the draft is that we cannot evaluate picks until X years down the road. This is just wrong. You can make a good or bad pick, and have it work or not work. Bradford is a sound thought process.
2. Lions – Ndomakung Suh, DT, Nebraska … best player in the draft. Disruptive force in the line, almost beat Texas without the benefit of an offense.
3. Bucs – Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma … this pick should take seconds – Bucs just need to take who Lions don’t.
4. Redskins – Russell Okung, T, Oklahoma State … lot of T’s near each other. But Okung has been the best the longest ratingswise. Redskins stay sound here. Remember they have actual management now.
5. Chiefs – Eric Berry, S, Tennessee … elite caliber player. His not being a CB moves him down – maybe. But the next Ed Reed? Gotta take him.
6. Seahawks – Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa … Spiller is a sexy pick, but not sure they take him this high, not with so much need up front. Bulaga or Williams could be the pick.
7. Browns – Earl Thomas, S, Texas … Berry would have been nice, but Thomas is not a reach here at all
8. Raiders – CJ Spiller … Al Davis is crazy, or dead. Spiller can fly. Sure they have McFadden, but who knows what they think of him?
9. Bills – Trent Williams, T, Oklahoma … they need someone to block. Williams is a pleasant surprise to slip to 9. Getting a NT would have been nice also.
10. Jaguars – Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida … workout warrior, productive in limited time. Pass rush was awful a year ago, so maybe they go fishing. Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech makes sense, but Jags might be attracted by upside.
11. Broncos – Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama … top inside backer on the board. Broncos need help up the middle. Really not sure they need to spend the #11 pick on McClain, but nobody else makes a ton of sense for them and not sure they would be the ones to take Dez Bryant.
12. Dolphins – Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech … could he be a standup elephant sort? I don’t know – indicators are mixed. But he can rush the passer and with Jason Taylor going to the Jets, pass rushing comes in handy.
13. 49ers – Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers … need a T, he has a high pedigree for pass rushing. What the hell?
14. Seahawks – Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State … Seahawks were all over Brandon Marshall this offseason. Pete Caroll wants to make a splash. Bryant has Top 5 talent outside of his issues. Makes sense to be the ballsy pick.
15. Giants – Sergio Kindle, DE, Texas … with Osi Umenyora crowing about leaving etc – DL is some priority. Kindle is a proven impact pass rusher with some evidence of versatility.
16. Titans – Brandon Graham, LB, Michigan … pass rushing potential has been a Titans staple. Graham was crazy productive last year though not precisely projectable. Not the athlete Jevon Kearse was but same positional ambiguity. But he can produce.
17. 49ers – Joe Haden, CB, Florida … not sure they want to pull the trigger on Claussen. Haden top CB, seems better in measurables than his draft status offers.
18. Steelers – Maurice Pouncey, C, Florida … Steelers want to run – helps to have a center
19. Falcons – Mike Iupati, G, Idaho … too early for most of the remaining defenders, Iupati should be solid, they need better blocking.
20. Texans – Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State … they have a pressing need for CB help, he is the highest rated left
21. Bengals – Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma … they need a TE. He could be a superstar.
22. Patriots – Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee … sure they signed Wilfork long term, but this is a position they cannot invest deeply enough in. He is the best 3-4 plugger, and he is here late.
23. Packers – Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama … if you watched the Arizona-GB classic game, you know the Packers need the help.
24. Eagles – Charles Brown, T, USC … Reid loves taking OL early. It has served the Eagles very well – no reason to do any different or anticipate any different.
25. Ravens – Demaryus Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech … THE passing game for my Yellow Jackets, a great ball in air guy. Could be super downfield target.
26. Cardinals – Jerry Hughes, LB, TCU … should absorb loss of Dansby. Apparently has the versatility to play in the 3-4. Of course I know nothing here – but seems sound with Cardinals experimenting with defensive scheme changes.
27. Cowboys – Rodger Saffold, T, Indiana … a bit of a reach, but they need to replace Flozell Adams and keep Tony Romo clean.
28. Chargers – Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State … Chargers need a physical runner to go with Sproles. Late 1st makes sense. If we wasn’t knucklehead, (though he might be less culpable than initially reported) so would Jonathan Dwyer.
29. Jets – Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State … Ryan loves more pass rushers. Odrick is not especially sexy as a name, but he has been productive.
30. Vikings – Tim Tebow, QB, Florida … someone will take him for the crowd pop. Why not them? Patient fans, good QB to keep the seat warm. Definitely a project.
31. Colts – Darryl Washington, LB, TCU … someone to drop down to DE, rush the passer still. Colts strategy is known – speed over size. They also could use the front seven help and Washington is known to be pretty cerebral.
32. Saints – Everson Griffen, DE, USC … his ticker is questionable, but the talent is not. Saints very well might sell this pick off with teams restacking their draft boards over night. I would not be surprised to see Saints try to auction it off to a team trying to sneak in with one more player from night one.